Sunday, September 21, 2008

Parents Weekend in a Hotel

Parents weekend has come and gone. It was really nice seeing my family, but what I am really going to miss is the hotel. I had my own bed, my own shower, and my own TV. A month living in the doors at SMU really makes you appreciate the simple pleasures in life.
I felt like I wasn't a college student, but a guest at a hotel enjoying a nice and relaxing vacation with my family. After eating and sleeping so well how am I suppose to come back to the reality of dorm life? After only three days, the transition is going to be difficult. I am not completely naive, I know living in the dorm is a right of passage for every freshman in college, but am I the only one who thinks it should be a tradition that we should not continue? I know that the proximity to class is great, and access to friends is a plus, but in my opinion the cons out
way the pros.
SMU is such a beautiful school and so I cannot understand why the dorms are so lackluster. I know that cannot be five star hotels, but I do think that they leave a lot to be desired. In my hall the rooms are very small, and there are constant problems with the A.C. People are always sick and as a result getting there friends sick. The bathrooms are communal, which is know is normal for a college dorm, but they are never cleaned and the showers are way too small!
I have already begun a countdown for October break, when I can go home and enjoy the simple pleasures that I miss when I am at school. Until that time, I guess I will have to suck it up like every other freshman on campus.

No comments: